As many other countries in the world, teledramas have become a lifestyle for people in general. As for Sri Lankan teledrama, it has drawn attention from public for a long time. Of course, every country has different style of teledrama. It is usually based on what lifestyle that the audiences http://126.96.36.199/ are in or interest. There’s so many factors deciding the theme or plot of a teledrama. As in Sri Lanka, most teledramas are in various types of plot, from light to heavy theme. There are reasons why Sri Lankan like watching serial TV or drama and here are some of the reasons:
The actress and actors
There are various factors of a television series to be a huge success. One of them is who stars in the drama. Lots of actress and actors in Sri Lanka with great acting skills. However, there must be some of them who have ‘x’ factor which make them more desirable to watch through TV screen. Those actress and actors may have special or unique traits of their acting skills which make them more standout than the rest. If it is to name great serial TV actress and actors in Sri Lanka, there would be a lot.
The young actress include Michelle Dilhara, born in 1996. She has appeared in more than 15 teledramas so far. As for more experienced actress, there is Deepani Silva, a popular veteran film as well as teledrama actress. The actress’s and actors acting skill is one of the main major of huge success of a teledrama in Sri Lanka. Of course, they are also good looking which make viewers even more enchanted while watching.
The plot is what make a teledrama is interesting or not to watch for viewers. As in Sri Lanka, the plot of teledramas is varied. There are heavy plot based on thriller Koombiyo. It was a huge success of a Sri Lankan teledrama. It was a crime thriller serial TV, which had drawn public’s attention. The rating was high and it was like a must-watch television series in Sri Lanka during its broadcast. The story included gangsters, family life, and of course various action stunts. This teledrama starred ThuminduDodantenna as Jehan Fernando, KalanaGunasekara as PriyanthaMahaulpathagama, and YureniNoshika as HiruniJayawardena.
This teledrama had garnered a lot of attention not only because of its interesting stiry line but also about the production issue at the beginning. Actually this drama was had initial production started from 2012. In 2015, the shooting was completed. However, it was rejected by many local TV networks because the protagonist in the drama was a con-man. This fact alone showed that most protagonists in Sri Lankan television drama are typically kind-hearted characters with righteous spirit. Having a con-man as protagonist was seen to be unusual which made most local TV networks worried of potential rejection from audience. However, it was ITN that finally agreed to telecast the drama in 2017. Then, it was a huge success.
Every success of Sri Lankan teledrama depends a lot on the reception of the audience or viewers. However, it is quite challenging to produce a teledrama that can be received by general public. Thus, every teledrama in Sri Lanka has certain flows to make sure that it matches the audience’s expectation. Of course, the government also plays big role in deciding what kind of teledrama that is safe to be telecasted. Age consideration will determine the time slot of when the teledrama will be telecasted. However, there is also Sri Lankan teledrama that can be enjoyed by whole family with light and meaningful story line.
Sri Lanka is considered fast in adopting to cultural differences coming from foreign countries. One of the biggest factors is of course media, including television. At some points, it influences lifestyle adopted by Sri Lankans in general. One of the most noticeable lifestyle is watching teledrama. Today, Sri Lankan teledrama is varied in story line and genre. Teledrama in Sri Lanka has various purpose as well. They are to entertain, educate, and advertise. Of course, the biggest purpose is entertainment. However, it doesn’t mean that Sri Lankan teledrama has no educational value to gain.
Sri Lankan teledrama to entertain
It cannot be denied that one of the reasons people watching drama is for entertainment at http://188.8.131.52. They want to be free for a while from stressful work or unresolved problems. By watching dramas, you will automatically focus on the story instead of on your own life. It can give you temporary distraction of stress. By watching drama, you can express your emotion by crying over dramatic scenes, laughing over funny scenes, or angry at frustrating scenes. Therefore, most television drama aims to entertain the viewers.
Sri Lankan teledrama to educate
There’s also some dramas in Sri Lanka purposely made to educate. There’s also various type of educational values wanted to be delivered to audiences. For example, a teledrama that aims to educate about certain culture. It can change the way the audience perceive some values in life. Somehow, it can also change their lifestyle. It is actually hard to find a teledrama that has positive impacts to the audiences. Most of mentality changes happened to viewers are negative. Therefore, choosing the right teledrama for educational purpose is quite challenging. Besides, educational television drama is not for everyone sometimes. There’s some aspects that cannot be received by certain audiences due to more sensitive topics for example.
Sri Lankan teledrama to advertise
It is not uncommon for a teledrama to be used as advertisement. Every teledrama has time slot. It can be 20 to 30 minutes per telecast. There is always time for ads to appear between episodes. Teledrama is one of the most viewed television programs. Thus, it is an effective and efficient way to advertise certain products. This is even better when a teledrama receive high ratings. The higher the ratings, the merrier the ads. Ads between teledramas’ time slot is important for the industry although it is one of the most unwanted things from viewers’ point of view.
Just like any other countries, Sri Lanka has also received cultural influences from other foreign countries. It is inevitable. Every country adopt a cultural value or two from other countries. It is not always a bad thing because sometimes it can be away to be more open-minded and raise awareness of something outside the inner circle. Adopting cultural value of other countries is fine as long as it doesn’t change or forget their original value. In Sri Lanka, one of the most noticeable influence is the lifestyle.
The biggest influence coming from Indian culture. It is shown by Sri Lankan teledrama. It is influenced by Indian teledrama somehow. Even though not everything has Indian flairs, Sri Lankan teledrama adopt some points.
Indian influences to Sri Lankan teledrama
In Sri Lanka, television network often broadcast Indian dubbed teledrama. It is one of teledrama major implication in Sri Lanka. Sometimes, it is even bigger than the local teledrama itself. Most Indian teledramas are filled with unrealistic story lines including unimaginable incidents or events at https://agenpoker899.com/. Indian teledramas are sometimes considered as too unrealistic or too dramatic. Of course dramatic effects are needed in a teledrama to emphasize certain points. However, sometimes it makes the story unpleasant to enjoy especially by millennial who like things to be logical and natural.
The culture and society shown in Indian dubbed teledrama in Sri Lanka are sometimes adapted to a certain point. However, today’s Sri Lankan teledrama is not that similar to Indian. Of course there are some points adopted from Indian teledrama such as overdramatic events or characterization.
However, most Sri Lankan teledramas nowadays have more natural story line. Thus, they can be enjoyed more by viewers. Soap opera teledrama in Sri Lanka is still preferred especially by female viewers. This kind of teledrama tells story of family, relationship, friendship, and daily life. Thus, they feel more connected to the story somehow.
Sri Lankan teledrama today has developed to the better. Not only do the actress and actors have better acting skill, the genre and plot has become more varied as well. Thus, it attracts more viewers from different gender and age. With advanced technology, Sri Lankans can watch teledrama through online platform as well. For those who are unable to watch at supposed time slot, they can just access online platform and choose a teledrama they missed. Millennial are those who use online platform the most to watch Sri Lankan teledrama.
When it comes to television drama in Sri Lanka, there’s a lot of them. However, it is not that hard to know which of them is the most popular. Sri Lankan teledrama has various genre. Thus, it invites various types of viewers as well. Some of teledrama has family story line which focus on family issue http://184.108.40.206 and relationship. Some of them focus on romantic relationship along with some intrigues and plot twist to make it more interesting to watch.
However, there are also some teledramas with unique genre such as thriller or crime thriller. Of course, every Sri Lanka teledrama has gone through necessary procedure to pass the sensor. Thus, it can be enjoyed properly by audiences from different ages. Sri Lankan not only able to watch local television dramas. They can also watch Indian TV series.
Popular and memorable Sri Lankan teledrama
In Sri Lanka, there are at least two teledrama with different genre that has left good impression amongst audiences. They are Koombiyo and Deweniinima. Both have different plot and story line. If you have never watched them before, might as well find out about what they are about first. Here is brief information about both teledramas:
Koombiyo – This is a Sri Lankan teledrama that has garnered lot of attention. Every little detail of this drama has become viral. In social media, this drama has been mentioned a lot. This is a crime thriller teledrama with Jehan, Hiruni, and Priyantha as main characters. This drama tells story about main protagonist, Jehan who tries to make a living from various illegal activities.
The story also involves gangster and drama of relationship between main characters. What makes this drama a huge hit is because the authenticity of the plot, the natural shooting location, as well as acting skills of every cast. There is no excessive video effect as well so everything flows naturally and make audiences feel more related to the story.
DeweniInima – This is a soap opera teledrama in Sri Lanka that has received various awards. It is broadcasted on the TV Derana network. This drama is more connected to Sri Lankan’s everyday life because it tells story about family, friendship, expectation of life, etc. this story is not only enjoyed by middle-aged viewers but also teens. The story of family, friendship, and relationship of this one of the most popular Sri Lankan teledramasmakes it more interesting to watch especially during primetime.
Enjoying a television drama or soap opera is not obligation but somehow it becomes a habit. Once you enjoy a teledrama, it seems hard to stop watching it or skipping even for one episode. As in Sri Lanka, watching television series is also one of the habits that http://220.127.116.11/ Sri Lankans like. There’s a lot of Sri Lankan teledrama that has garnered high ratings and viewers.
Two of the most noticeable are Koombiyo and DeweniInima. Those are two different teledrama with different genre. While Koombiyo is a crime thriller drama, DeweniInima is your daily soap opera with lighter story lines offering comedy and light-hearted story to enjoy.
There’s a lot of ways to enjoy Sri Lankan teledrama. Watching from TV is the most ideal one but of course is not the only way. Here are tips to really enjoy teledrama:
- The best time to really enjoy teledrama is when you have spare time. It is time when you are about to rest from the day after dealing with a stressful day. That’s the best way to enjoy the drama. Lots of people assume that housewives have the most time to truly enjoy watching teledrama. However, being a Sri Lankan housewives is not that easy either. Sri Lankan housewives also have many things to do. Therefore, enjoying teledrama is not that easy either. Sometimes, they watch teledrama during their work in the kitchen, or when they attend to their kids.
- For workers, enjoying teledrama the best is when they are finally at home. That is why most of high-rating teledrama is telecasted during prime time when people usually already at home after work. This is where you can enjoy your rest. You can enjoy your dinner while watching your favorite Sri Lankan teledrama. Thus, there is no chance to miss the story either.
- For those who have random work schedule, enjoying a teledrama can be from online platform. Aside from streaming online, you can watch the recap. Thus, there won’t be a problem even if you miss an episode or two. You can always catch up whenever you have time. Sri Lankan teledrama can be watched from online platform today to make it easier for people to really enjoy the show. Besides, watching from online platform also means you don’t need to deal with ads. There is no such thing as being interrupted. You can binge watch several episodes in one go.
Sri Lankan like watching teledramas during spare time especially primetime when families gather around after hectic days. This kind of habit is not only exist in Sri Lanka but also in many other countries. For Sri Lankan teledrama, there’s various genre to enjoy. Started from crime thriller, family drama http://18.104.22.168, to romantic comedy.
Every teledrama broadcasted in Sri Lanka has been through tight procedure ruled by government to make sure that there is no content of violence or excessive sexual display in the story. Aside from the plot, story line, and characters in the drama, there are also other little things which make a drama is more preferred by audiences in general. Here are some of them:
- Time slot can be both major and minor detail of a teledrama. Most teledramas in Sri Lanka play for 20-30 minutes. Those are reasonable slot for a regular teledrama. However, the 30 minute drama is more preferred especially when a drama is cut with some special effects such as slow motion or repetitive scene. And for family drama, it is mostly broadcasted during prime time such as in the evening. There’s also typical teledrama telecasted in the morning which is usually enjoyed by housewives.
- Another little thing is the effect. It usually depends on what type of teledrama telecasted. For family drama, video effects are not too often. Most special effects included in the drama are slow motions. As for action drama, most of effect related to computer graphic but not in excessive amount. It is usually not as intense as what appears in a film. And for romantic comedy drama, effect is usually in minimum amount. Special effect is little detail but plays important role because it can add the intensity of the story.
- Camera angle of a teledrama also plays important role. Most teledrama usually use average drama, unlike camera used to make a blockbuster movie. However, Sri Lankan teledrama now often use high-definition camera with high quality result. That’s what make audiences enjoy the teledrama even more. Camera angle also makes a drama look more interesting to watch. The way how camera capture various shots should fit. For example in teledrama Koombiyo, the camera add some motions to the frame audience to get a feeling like the audience walking with him too. When the camera can capture the scene very well, the audience will be more able to relate with the characters and story in the drama.
There’s various reasons why people like watching television drama or people also call it as soap opera or teledrama. As in Sri Lanka, television drama also hold special spots within the audiences. There’s a lot of Sri Lankan teledrama that has gained plop or success. The audiences http://22.214.171.124/ of teledrama in Sri Lanka is also varied in age and gender. However, most of it is dominated by women in mid-age and teens. Along with the popularity of watching teledrama, there’s always rules to filter its contents. If it is unacceptable for television broadcast, teledrama will be rejected to be telecasted.
Sri Lanka is just like many other countries, have epic viewers when it comes to teledrama. If is to mention which teledramas that has blown a successful hit, there’s a long list of it.
However, here are some factors that make loyal viewers want to keep watching a teledrama in Sri Lanka:
- Characters of the television series can truly determine the ratings and viewers. Along with the characters, the casts holds important point. If the audiences feel like the cast don’t deliver the character very well,the teledrama is potentially ruined. When the director and producer chose the right cast for the character in the drama, it is like finishing half of the job of successful teledrama. That’s why deciding the right cast is important step in producing Sri Lankan teledrama.
- Authenticity of the story in the drama really plays important role. Of course, most drama has overdramatic traits. However, audiences like authentic and natural flow even more. For example in the choice of setting and characterization. If it is natural and authentic, the audience can relate more as well. They will be into the story line which make them get addicted to it. It makes them an epic fans and audiences.
- Time slot is also important factor to count for a successful teledrama. Most television drama in Sri Lanka has 20 minutes broadcast time. With all dramatic effect such as slow motion or repetition, it may only take 12 minutes max to show the real story line. Therefore, Sri Lankan loyal audiences prefer a 30 minute broadcast time with minimum effect, especially slow motion. They also like logic of time to fit perfectly. For audiences, every minutes they spend for watching is valuable. Sri Lankan teledrama is expected to be more like a short story instead of never-ending story.
In Sri Lanka, watching television series is one of lifestyle adopted by general public especially housewives and teens. There’s a lot of interesting Sri Lankan teledramas after all so it is not surprising if public get addicted to certain drama. One of the most successful television drama in Sri Lanka is Koombiyo. It was as crime thriller teledrama with interesting story lines and of course great actors and actress. This drama has cause such a ruckus amongst audience because its interesting plot. Everything related to this teledrama has gone viral and hot issues.
That shows how audience love this TV series so much. The story line itself is quite simple. It tells the story of a male protagonist with his loyal friend. They try to make a living in the real world. In general story line, it resembles American TV show called Burn Notice. The difference is Koombiyo is more natural and practical not as dramatic as the one in American TV.
Of course, there are many points to cause this huge success. Here are some of the reasons:
The first thing that has drawn a lot of attention of this Sri Lankan teledrama is the logic behind the story line. Every little detail is not questionable. For example, the cast in the story owns an iPhone, and of course it resulted her not to be able to pay her rent. In many television dramas, poor protagonist always has the latest smartphone and it doesn’t flow naturally with the logic which cause audiences to questions many things.
Another interesting point of this drama is the natural setting. This story is taken in Colombo. The setting for this drama is very similar to what Colombo looks like in real life. There is no exaggerated background settings or colorful landscape. The Colombo is more into dull and dusty streets, along with stressed looking people trying to make a fulfilled income. Thus, the audience can relate easily to the location and setting especially those who have been there or are currently in.
The characters in this Sri Lankan teledrama really did a good job in showing the emotion through the story line. Their acting skills are authentic which make people believe that they don’t act but live in it. Even sarcastic jokes are well delivered by the casts in natural ways which make audience enable to comprehend. No wonder this teledrama has IMDb rating almost over 9.